Marlian Records is the brainchild of the street-hop artist Azeez Fashola, popularly recognized as Naira Marley.
Founded in December 2019, Marlian Records has experienced significant growth, expanding its roster to encompass several additional artists.Securing a record label deal in the modern music industry can pose significant challenges, with numerous emerging talents encountering obstacles due to a lack of necessary guidance and financial backing required to nurture their musical careers.
Securing a record label deal in the modern music industry can pose significant challenges, with numerous emerging talents encountering obstacles due to a lack of necessary guidance and financial backing required to nurture their musical careers.
Fortunately, Naira Marley, the CEO of Marlian Music, has extended an opportunity to young, aspiring musicians, providing them with a platform to advance their music careers.
Nonetheless, recent controversy surrounding the untimely passing of one of the label’s former artists, Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba, known as MohBad, has cast uncertainty over the label’s future. Accusations and suspicions have emerged, tarnishing the label’s reputation.
The reasons behind this controversy are apparent. MohBad was previously signed to Naira Marley’s Marlian Records before his departure in 2022, and the circumstances surrounding his exit were shrouded in contention.
Tragically, on Tuesday, September 12, 2023, MohBad passed away at the tender age of 27. His demise has been linked to allegations of violence and mistreatment during his tenure with the former record label.
Here is a compilation of artists presently affiliated with Marlian Records:
1. Naira Marley: Azeez Adeshina Fashola, known professionally as Naira Marley, is the founder of the Marlian Records label. He doubles as the CEO and artist in Marlian Records.
He announced the founding of the record label on December 30, 2019, during his Marlian Fest concert at Eko Hotel and Suite in Lagos.
2. Zinoleesky: Oniyide Azeez, popularly known as Zinoleesky, is a Nigerian songwriter, singer, and rapper born on April 21, 2000.
Zino was one of the four artists who signed with Marlian Music in December 2019.
3. CBlvck: CBlack, whose real name is Olamilekan Kazeem Kudus, was signed to Marlian Music the same night with Zinoleesky, in December 2019.
4. Fabian Blu: Inim Fabian, also known as Fabian Blu, hails from Akwa Ibom State.
He was among the four members that got signed to Marlian Music in 2019.
Some months after his signing, Fabian Blu, 25, called out Marlian Music on social media for not promoting him as much as they were promoting his label mate Zinoleesky.
Whether he exited the label or not is unknown to the public because neither Fabian nor Marlian Music confirmed any contract termination.
5. Tori Keeche: On August 23, 2020, Tori Keeche was announced as the first female artist signed to Marlian Music.
6. Vusic: Vusic signed to Marlian Records in June 2023. Vusic was born in Lagos, Nigeria.
He started his music career in 2019.
7. Emo Grae: Emo Grae is a singer-songwriter who has released songs like “0903” and “Gone.”
Emo Grae joined Marlians Records in 2020.
8. Lyta: Babatunde Rahim, popularly known as Lyta, is a Nigerian singer who signed with Marlian Records in 2020 after he left YBNL (Rapper Olamide’s record label) in 2018 under controversial circumstances.